93 Easy Ways to Make Your Home Sell Faster
If you are thinking of selling your home there are a number of things you can do to improve the overall impression made by you home.
But first, you must learn to look at your home through the eyes of a buyer.
Most of the suggestions are no-cost or low-cost improvements and this early investment in your home's appearance really pays off when selling the home.
- Open the draperies, pull up the shades and let in the sunlight.
- Create a positive mood. Turn on all lights, day or night.
- Install higher wattage light bulbs to show your home brightly - in it's best light. Turn on all lights.
- Remove all clutter from each room to visually enlarge them.
- Create the illusion of spaciousness.
- If you have a fireplace, highlight it in your decorating.
- Keep your home dusted and vacuumed at all times.
- Have a family emergency game plan to get the home in order quickly if necessary.
- Air out your home one half hour before the showing if possible.
- Lightly spray the room with air freshener so that it has a chance to diffuse and air before the buyer arrives.
- Microwave a small dish of vanilla twenty minutes before the showing and place it in an out of the way place in the kitchen.
- Create a master suite effect in your decorating.
- Make sure the beds are made and the linens and curtains are fresh and clean.
- Organize your closets, remove unnecessary items and put them in storage.
- Bathrooms should always be kept spotlessly clean.
- Do not leave towels around and wipe down the showers areas after each use.
- Recaulk if the caulk is not sparkling white.
- Put out fresh towels and decorative soaps for showings.
- Set the scene by setting the table! Highlight the potential of your dining room by setting a grand dining table!
- The kitchen should always be kept spotlessly clean.
- Expand you counter space by removing small appliances.
- Highlight an eat in area of your kitchen with a table set for dinner.
- Shampoo all carpets and vacuum them daily.
- If the carpet does not clean up well you should Replace It!
- Improve traffic flow through every room and create and feeling of spaciousness in every room by removing unnecessary furniture, knick-knacks, hobby items, children's items, etc.
- However, try to avoid creating a sterile looking environment.
- Remove all grease from range hoods, ovens, stovetops, wall etc.
- Clean rubbish out of the fireplace and keep it clean in the winter.
- If you have numerous family photos put them away until your home is under contract. Perspective buyers will feel more like it can be their home if they aren't aware of your family photo memories.
- Remove all unnecessary items from the attic, basement, garage, tool shed and especially from the storage area if you have one.
- Rent a storage area for these items or have a yard sale.
- Straighten, tidy and remove unnecessary items from all closets. Put unnecessary items in storage.
- Make sure the door bell works.
- Invest in a new doormat.
- Make sure the front door, storm door, screen door, etc. work wonderfully.
- Create the feeling of a spacious entry area by using decorating accents, mirrors, rugs, etc. and by removing all unnecessary clutter.
- Regardless of the season, tackle spring-cleaning. Clean everything in your home from top to bottom, from attic to basement!
- Wash all windows, inside and out.
- Curtains should be fresh, clean and attractive.
- Clean all light bulbs, light fixtures and chandeliers to brighten the home.
- Remove all smoke odors, pet odors and odors resulting from hobbies.
- Straighten, tidy and remove unnecessary items from all closets, create the feelings of spacious closets. Put all unnecessary items in storage or invest in under-the-bed storage boxes.
- Remove posters and adhesive from walls and doors and putty any holes resulting from nails or other mishaps.
- Depersonalize teenagers room and decorate in a neutral temperament.
- Clean or paint the basement walls and floors.
- Paint all inside walls with off-white paint. Use two or more coats to cover bold, bright or dark walls.
- All walls should be painted, not just washed. This will brighten the home and make it look bigger.
- Repair or replace all doors, closet doors and/or windows and screens so that they open with ease.
- Repair or replace banisters and handrails.
- Repair or replace broken tiles on walls, floors or in shower/tubs.
- Repair or replace loose or dangling wall paper.
- If the basement shows any signs of water or structural damage it may be necessary to obtain a structural engineer's report.
- Replace all toilet bowls if you cannot get them spotlessly clean.
- Replace shower curtains and keep them clean.
- Water and prune all plants.
- Use plants in transitional areas of your home between inside and out.
- Either get rid of dying plants or keep them out of sight.
- Remove any excess extension cords and exposed wires.
- Open doors to areas you want the potential buyer to see such as walk in closets, pantries, attic, basement, etc.
- Close all other closet doors and cabinets.
- Make the most of your attic's potential.
- Make the attic as pleasant as possible by airing it out, and decorating if possible.
- Add visual appeal to stairways, especially in unfinished stairways to the basement.
- Keep the yard mowed, raked, fertilized and watered at all times!
- Remove all toys, bicycles, tools, unsightly patio furniture, trash, etc. from the yard.
- Trees and shrubs should be pruned trimmed.
- Lawns and gardens should be weeded at all times.
- Use flowering plants to dress up the yard, walkway and patio.
- All hoses and garden equipment should be neatly out of sight.
- Outdoor furniture should be kept clean and/or repainted if necessary.
- Firewood should be neatly stacked or out of sight.
- Paint and repair the mail box or replace it if necessary.
- Make all those minor repairs to the exterior.
- Porches, steps, verandas, balconies, patios and other extensions of the house should be kept uncluttered, swept and in good condition.
- Paint all entrance doors.
- Shades and awnings should be in good condition. Replace if the color has faded. Remove windsocks.
- Create an outside living/dining area with furniture and plants.
- Highlight your pool area, water garden etc. with lighting, benches, planters, flower plants, etc.
- Take nighttime photos of decorative yard lighting systems.
- Take pictures of your flowering mature landscaping in summer if you are planning to sell your home later in the year.
- Display these photos in your home in the winter time.
- Clean and shine all accessories (door knobs, knockers, lamps, mail boxes, address numbers, etc).
- Clean, repair and paint all gutters and downspouts.
- All roof shingles, tiles etc. should be secured or replaced. If the roof leaks-- FIX IT!
- Make sure the garage door opens easily. Fix and paint the garage door if necessary.
- Paint chimney and replace broken bricks or stones.
- An investment in painting your home can really make the difference between "turning on" the buyer and sending up a red flag about the condition of the home.
Some Final Things You Can Do To Help Your Home Sell Quickly!
- Arrive at an equitable asking price using an appraisal.
- Don't be afraid to accept the first offer.
- Obtain a floor plan of your home if possible.
- Assemble house records for buyer perusal.
- Only consider written offers by lender prequalified buyers.
- Enlist HomesByMarco to market your home.
Contact your agent today!